Thursday, September 13, 2012

Book Review: Legend by Marie Lu



Hey Everyone!
I haven't done a book review in a while because I'm not sure if you guys like them or not. However, let me say this: THIS BOOK IS A-MAZING. I actually just typed this up as a school paper (it was supposed to be brief, but you know... that doesn't happen with me!) Anyways, here it is! I read Unwind the other day, so if you want to see a book review on that let me know, or any other book for that matter!

Legend by Marie Lu

                The book Legend by Marie Lu has two main characters:  Day and June. The chapters switch on and off with their point of views. Day is the most wanted criminal; however he is not a mean person at all. He’s never killed anyone, so it’s safe to say he’s far from cruel. He is very smart, and quick.  Even some of his crimes were done to save people, but the Republic don’t see him as a good person.  On the other hand, June Iparis is the Republic’s prodigy, scoring at 1500/1500 on her Trial (the Trial is a huge test that you take showing your intelligence, physical agility and strength, etc. which you get tested on when your ten. This will determine where you will work and live). Therefore June’s also smart, strong, agile, perceptive and many more traits.

The story’s initial problem is that Day’s younger brother, Eden contracts the annual plague.  (Day’s family suspects he’s dead, except for his brother John, so he doesn’t live with his mother and two brothers.) Since Day and his family lives in the poor sectors of the city, they don’t have enough money to vaccinate Eden.  Moreover, this leads Day breaking into a hospital trying to attain the vaccines, only to find that the shipments aren’t in yet and nearly escaping the hospital. When Day almost reaches safety, a captain shows up. Day throws a knife hitting the captain in the shoulder. The next day, June receives a call saying her brother, Captain Metias, was murdered, and the prime suspect is Day. June seeks out revenge as Day and June’s paths cross, and together they figure out many secrets the government (the Republic) is holding.

This book was my favorite book that I read this summer.  I feel like both characters were displayed well and I really enjoyed reading more about them and who they were.  June is one of my favorite heroines I’ve read yet.  Day maintains his hold of being a criminal, but is still very caring. The book was faced past, and I wanted to read it more and more, finishing it in two days.  For instance, there were many parts I didn’t see coming like who really killed Metias and the Republic’s “annual” plagues.  I also really liked this government. It’s not your average dystopian government… at first.  I really enjoyed it and I would recommend it very much.
Find our more here.
Hope you enjoyed! -Kait
Image from Google. Not sponsered or anything like that! 

No comments:

Post a Comment